As some of you already know, my dad is a neurosurgeon, a baker and a father rolled into one. In many ways he channels his inner Martha Stewart and It’s a good thing. My house is the house to be at for 4th of July not just because we fucking love America, but because my dad goes on a baking spree. In the matter of 24 hours he made 3 blueberry pies, a chocolate layer cake, 2 chocolate breads a peach cobbler 3 baguette and a slew of other things. I mean, shit got real this weekend. My Dad actually took off July 3rd just to spend time with the family.
My mom claims that since she has known him, which has been since like middle school (they go way back, TOO CUTE!) my dad has never, ever, ever taken a day off. We came to the two possible conclusions, first is that he thought it was Saturday and didn’t realize it until it was too late so he called in with the Ebola and needed 24 hours to get himself together, the second idea is that he had an aneurism and he has no idea who is or where he is and was acting purely on instinct. Either way, I had no complaints because “Friday Dad” as he is come to be known is pretty cool. His pies are legendary in my town and anybody lucky enough to have one is lucky to be alive because that shit is good. A friend of the family gave us several pounds of blueberries which my dad took as a sign from the universe to bake blueberry pies. I have limited words for these delicious things because they are unbelievable. I had to twist his arm just to get his recipe and I am honored to pass it on to you guys to enjoy.
Blueberry Crumble Pie
- Crumb Topping
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold, cubed
- Blueberry Filling
- 2 ½ pintsblueberries
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the crumb: In a large bowl, combine the 4 oz flour, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and salt and whisk together.
- Scatter cold cubed butter pieces in and cut with pastry blender to large coarse crumbs the size of peas. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries with 1/3 c brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 4 tbs flour and stir gently to coat.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs flour and 1 tbs sugar over bottom of partially pre-baked crust.
- Pour in filling and level.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over filling.
- Bake 50 to 55 min (pie shield at 30 min), until topping is golden brown and filling just begins to bubble.
This is YOUR final product.
This is MY final product.
Happy July 4th you red-blooded Americans and remember, fuck hippies. If you have a good pie recipe that you think is better let us know and maybe we can have the master brain surgeon, baker, father can make it and let us know what he thinks of it. Don’t forget to hit the follow button and share this page on your social media pages
Food Porn, Bruh.